Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 23: Inflated

At least two dozen people have used that adjective for me in the last couple of months. But it sounded like an alarm when my once-in-the-same-condition buddy told me, that I looked pregnant!

I guess, I am really catching up too much of stuff from all the food I hog. I do think of doing exercises once in a while. I started for a week too. But a terrible neck pain supported my laziness and I was off that schedule in no time. My colleague-cum-neighbour suggested a daily morning-walk project in collaboration... however, its still in the pre-release phase.

And now to the good stuff... congratulations to me and my blog.. as I have finally achieved a devoted (so I hope) follower!! Thank you so much, Soumya!

Without delaying any further I will get on with the prime content. Today I want to recommend a Sport/Historical drama - Gracie (2007). It's based on 70's America when Women's Soccer wasn't very popular and was non-existent on college or town level matches. Gracie, our protagonist, belongs to a football lover family with 1 elder and 2 younger brothers. Her father (Dermot Mulroney) was an ex-football player and now personally coached his eldest son Johnny, the star quarterback of Columbia High School team. Johnny is the only one in the family who encourages Gracie with playing football and appreciates her skills. But after a unfortunate loss to a long-time rival team, Johnny dies in an accident.

After overcoming the grief, Gracie announces her desire to replace Johnny in the team, only to be ridiculed by her brothers and father. He doesn't approve the decision and denies to coach her as she isn't strong enough to play with the boys. This takes Gracie on a path of self-inflicted destruction on academic backgrounds and social behaviors. Realizing the shortcoming of his unthoughtful denial, her father encourages her for soccer training again and tries to convince the team coach. But Gracie stll isn't approved by the townfolks, specially by her to-be teammates. What constitutes the rest of the story is how Gracie fights her way through all the ridicules and age-old mindsets of people and proves herself in front of everyone.

I always loved sports movies. But this one is a little more as it also fights the social conventions about girls being desired only in tender activities. If you aren't in for those set of beliefs, you will love it.

Well, the smell of omlette is becoming quite irresistible ... so I will go ahead to make way for some more calories... you guys enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment