Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 22: Practising Self-Control

Can't tell you how hard it is. I almost failed!

I have basically no self-control when it comes to movies. Even in my current economic condition, movie theaters are irresistible to me, which is a major reason why I don't go out much now-a-days.

Today, I had to go out for some critical bank paperwork. I was a little frustrated as I had to close my savings fund before maturity. The frustration pushed me towards the nearest movie complex.

I had made up my mind about breaking my resolution and watching Knight and Day, my self-control was dead. But, the backup generator fired up somehow - my luck. When I checked the ticket availability, it still showed a few tickets. But when I stood in the queue and finally reached the booking counter, it was sold out.

If you think I left it there, you are wrong.

I walked to two more multiplexes which are not very near! And with my luck still working, none of them had a show starting in at least 2 hours. So ... great!

So.. right now, I am in a mood to watch a little nostalgic movie, which I want to recommend to everybody too. Its a Tobey Maguire and Reese Witherspoon starrer movie - Pleasantville.

It's a weird fantasy movie, where siblings David (Tobery) and Jennifer (Reese) accidentally use a magic remote and end up inside a 70-style black-n-white sitcom - Pleasantville. Everything is perfect in Pleasantville, it never rains, it never catches fire, people come back at home right at 6pm, every ball you throw goes right into the basket.

Due to the restrictions in the sitcom's script, there has been no sexual relations either between anybody in Pleasantville. So when Jennifer goes a little over the line on a date, people start feeling different, feeling out of the script-bound incomplete world... and they start getting colored! But where there is a change, there are always the ones who get to be the obstacles.

Rest of the story follows how the people of Pleasantville accept and obstruct the most obvious consistency of life - change. In this strange soul-searching journey, everybody will go through something that will free their souls... even you.

So, lets not waste time anymore and get on with it! It's almost dinner time for me... so bye bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment