Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 9: Realistic Unreality

What an uneventful day!

Absolutely nothing interesting and unexpected happened today. Woke up when I thought I would, ate what I thought I would, didn’t go anywhere as I planned, nothing, absolutely nothing happened that I would want to remember or wish to forget!

Well, most of my days are like this, monochromic. That’s the difference between real life and movies. In a movie, two people could meet for the first time and fall in love madly, save an entire country from nuclear holocaust, steal everything from Federal bank and then kill an army of lethal aliens, before going back into time to reset everything, just in 24 hours. Ummm... I may have exaggerated a little, but if we try hard we can make such a movie, ignoring the risk of the movie failing badly with box office collection, of course!

That’s how movies are, larger than life, and they should be. (Maybe not all of the time though!) Because if movies were as dull as our real lives, who would come to watch it!

I know, some people will say, movies are always better when they are realistic. Well, they are realistic ...but still unreal, and that’s why we love them! Think of it! What if Indiana Jones had a heart attack when he was surrounded by millions of snakes in Raiders of Lost Ark, what if James Bond couldn’t catch the plane after jumping from the cliff and died in Golden Eye, what if a single bullet would hit Rambo on his forehead... who would watch that? There are already so many screw-ups in our real life, the smell of failure is already injected to our sweat, we don’t want our heroes to fail at least!

So, in that mood, let’s have the pick of today.

Of course, I am not going to recommend any Rambo, James Bond or Indiana Jones movie, which would be like teaching how to draw a circle to a mechanical engineer!

I am going to recommend one of my favourite Tim Burton movie, Big Fish. The movie beautifully illustrates the difference between lying and adding colour to the truth. The story is about a father and son. The father could do magic with his stories, a magic that had given an enjoyable childhood to his son. But the son is grown up now and doesn’t want to stay in his Dad’s imaginary world anymore, causing bitter clashes. The father doesn’t want to accept it to be imaginary, because what he sees is beyond regular people’s conception, because what he sees makes him different than everybody else, because the stories he tells are not lies, but the truth, with a little flavour.

This is one lovely emotional story with a larger than life expression of every possible metaphor... and not to miss.

By the way, my fever is finally gone!

Well, since my job for today is done, so am I!

No comments:

Post a Comment