Friday, June 18, 2010

Day 1: A Terrible Terrible Day!!!

Boy, what a day!

Just when I thought I have started a blog and now I can at least do a part of what I have always wanted and started to celebrate by watching a movie, the movie file asked me for a special codec.

I know, you NEVER download codecs other than k-lite!! Never! But, I don't know why I felt like trying it.

It was some stupid codec with a Mozilla icon. I scanned the item with McAfee to confirm it wasn't a virus! Of course, it wasn't a virus, it was a portal to other viruses. Lame.

As soon as I clicked it to start installation.... whoah!!! It vanished! I freaked out and rapidly unplugged the network cable! It didn't help, though. I looked around in my C: drive for symptoms of a virus. I didn't see any, which freaked me out even more.

I ran a McAfee scan to be safe. Within 15 minutes it detected 112 abnormalities, but it didn't show any signs of finishing the scan within an hour while I had to leave office within 20 minutes. I know, you must be wondering how am I watching a movie in my office. Please, it's a trade secret!

So, anyway, I aborted the scan and ran another anti-malware which was always much faster. It found one threat and removed it perfectly. I was slightly relaxed and started another movie. 

First symptom! The movie didn't open with the media player I normally used. I tried another, same result. I tried a third, didn't budge! Time was running out, so I just turned the system off, hoping for it to recover automatically as if some magical miracle was granted to me by God! Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!!

So when I got up on my cab, I couldn't shake the worry off my head. I started it up again, only it didn't start!

Ignoring the "I knew it" from all the Microsoft-haters (Stop thinking out loud guys!), I tried all kinds of troubleshooting possible, knowing they wouldn't work! And they didn't. They didn't and they so didn't that it made me nauseate. All my data, my office data, my collected movies, my wallpapers...all are going to be lost!

Mom started asking how, why and what-now so many times, I got irritated, because a series of WH questions were not going to fix my laptop! I went to sleep thinking that there might be another way to fix it and I can search it in my friend's computer, who lives in the same building.

But my luck is so fabulous!

I came down to open his computer in the morning. I actually woke up early for this (yes, 9 am is too early for me!). Now... his system didn't start up. Yes, God, I am rolling on the floor laughing my guts out, right now.

Anyway, my friend's system was a desktop and it took me 15 minutes to fix that. But sadly, I couldnt find anything to fix my laptop.

Only solution: Format everything and lose all data, when I reach office on Monday.

Current Workaround: Watch another movie on my second laptop, to keep me distracted!

Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment