Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 8: Pet Day

My rest is being a little too long now. The fever doesn’t come out, nor does it go away. I don’t know how long it will keep me hanging like this.

Moreover, I had to go out to close my 17 month old monthly savings to pay my credit card due which keeps increasing in a geometric progression. And obviously, I reached late, since I didn’t know which branch I had to go! So after being kind of kicked out from 3 different branches, when I reached mine, it was already 10 minutes past closing time. The security guys felt pity after looking at my face, which is born pitiful by the way, and let me stand outside while somebody came out of the office.

Well, I didn’t get the work done, but I at least got the form. Score!

Anyway, I didn’t have anything better to do or anything to do to get me better, so I started writing the blog. All I needed was a good movie in the background. And it couldn’t be better than Marley and Me.

I have seen a lot of movies on pet animals, affectionate wild animals. I have seen Duma, all the three Free Willy-s, Flipper, Born Free, Beethoven, Fly Away Home, Eight Below, Bolt and the list can go on all day. I have liked all of them, even if some of them were not that good. I liked them because the idea of a human being in love with an animal so selflessly ...just makes me get goose bumps, considering we don’t miss a spot when it comes to make our life more competitive than it already is. We don’t miss a chance to stab each other in the back, swear under our breath, quarrel with the guy who skipped a person in the queue, shout at the customer support guy since he can’t shout back, fight with the driver who merely even touched our car.

We don’t, which includes me too. But when it comes to our pet, somehow we lose all that me-ness.

I found a kitten once, roaming around our lawn looking for its mom, clueless. We kept him. But he died after 2-3 years. He vomited often in his last days, it was very painful. But we didn’t learn, we kept another cat after a couple years. This one was almost like a dog, he understood love and loved back. Only, he was a big time thief. Just not that, he used to catch big birds and leave the carcass in our drawing room. Mom would get frustrated cleaning up all that every time.

So one day he came in with dirt all over him, as if he had a mud-fight with other street cats. We were having guests and mom was not in a mood to clean up all his dirt again. So she took a broom and threw him out. He didn’t want to go out, so he kept coming in, but mom went angry and just didn’t let him in. He ran away.

That was the last we saw him. It was his time to be angry now, he never came back.

So when I see these movies, I feel the strange logic-less love for these God’s creations, who are incapable of expressing their love by speaking out like us, but still do everything else possible. Ironically, though we have the capacity to speak, we lack the intention of loving. So, can’t make a building on a base that weak, mister!

Anyway, enough of social healing and back to pet movies. Why do I recommend Marley & Me among all those touchy stories of all those brave heroic animals? Because, its more real.

Marley isn’t a heroic dog, he doesn’t save people from a fired up building, he doesn’t rescue innocent skiers from under 2 feet deep snow dump. He is a regular crazy dog, who just doesn’t agree with any kind of training. He is irritating, he is a menace, he is the reason for banning dogs from a few Florida beaches and there is absolutely nothing that he cannot chew and digest. The story isn’t about how to make the dog a well-behaved one. It’s about a family’s life who own the dog, it’s about all the daily laughters and tears they go through, it’s how Marley became a cannot-do-without part of their family, in spite of being, you know, Marley.

The movie is funny, sometimes crazy... and yet very emotional. I am not ashamed (well, slightly ashamed) to say that I cried my butt off in the climax of this movie. Made me go back to my pet cat days.

So, my invisible readers, enjoy the weekend, let your emotions go wild, if you want to, of course! I will be here, writing something, that apparently nobody wants to read.

Bye bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment