Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 2: Nothing Can Make It Worse

Yesterday was heaven compared to today.

Most of yesterday went on research... before my brain settled down a bit and told me to try an USB to SATA cable. Let's not go into the technical details to spoil this more than it already is.

Well, it calmed me down a little. I looked around for the cable, which incidentally is the rarest thing in Bangalore and can only be found in Science Museums. Only one guy had it, but used, opened and broken.

The next thing to try was to look for stores which were far away from my locality. Since it was 8pm, my friend convinced me to abort the expedition and to resume it tomorrow morning. So I did.

I have always liked Sundays. Not anymore, friends, not anymore.

Because, apparently, most of the stores get closed on Sundays since they need a holiday too. Hey, that's only fair, considering normal people stop having needs and emergencies on Sundays and it's really absurd for a mess-up like me to even come with a need just on Sunday.

So, me, and my friend, walked around in the roads of IndiraNagar (Bangloreans will recognize the place) in a 'pleasantly' sunny noon, with a very disturbing and forever-ongoing construction of a Metro railline making our journey slightly more irritating.

After we had covered 75% of the area, my brilliant mind suggested me to look in a different area, which is guaranteed to be open even on Sundays - MG Road.

So I dragged my unlucky friend along back to where we had parked the bike and headed for our new search area.

All the electronic stores were open in MG Road. God bless posh people!

There were actually four electronic stores there! My joy had no bounds. After a little cross-reference, I found out that USB to SATA cable was practically extinct and they only keep casings now. I bought it without any hesitation.

I was relaxed, finally I got my stuff. My friend was relaxed, he doesn't have to go anywhere else!

So, we returned home, equally happy. Now to the harder part.

I borrowed his screw drivers and took my piece of crap hard drive out of the laptop. Now, I just had to put it into the casing and connect it to my other laptop. But wait a minute! The casing is locked from all sides, neither did it slide in any direction, neither did it pop open.

Okay, check the freaking manual, idiot! Oh no, there is no manual! There are guides to connect it to the laptop, catalog of other devices it sold, but no manual! Great!

15 minutes more of internet research leaded to a manual of a similar model. Exactly what I suspected, I will have to unscrew the damn casing both ways and then slide it in. So I did.

Now its time to put the hard drive in it, finally. But hold on, it doesn't go in! Maybe because, it is not supposed to go in! It had one more layer of casing on it already.

Again, some more unscrewing with a shaky hand, since we have always been brain-washed not to open a laptop by ourselves, ever! Now it went in, after a little struggle with the ports.

Phew! I connected it to my laptop dreaming of backing up all data that my other laptop could take in. But, hey, since when did I get things right?

The dreaded hard drive was detected but wouldn't open, since it wasn't formatted. I couldn't format it, which would eliminate the soul purpose of backing up.

Back to where it all started!

So, tell me, how to make the day even worse!

May be God knows, maybe He will tomorrow. I am slowly stopping to care.

Signing off...

No comments:

Post a Comment